Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Two Pilgrim's reflect. Day 3



                                               The Open Gate
The open gate beckons you to go through it.  Wisdom, she is a seeker.
The rain comes in increments.  The sun shines and out of nothing, rain.  I take refuge in Esther de Waal's church, St Peter's of Rowlestone.  She shares with me the history: the alter, the original romanesque arches and the baptismal fount where her grandchildren were baptized. This is what makes a pilgrimage.  A story and a personal moment, Esther's hand sways like she is reaching for God.  She suggests that I be aware of place as I make my way to Tintern Abbey.

Over windy roads, I arrive in a valley.  The Cistercian abbey frames itself along the river Wye among the green, green fields.  I am reminded of another abbey, another time and place.  I am a child picnicking with my family, playing hide-n-seek among the ruins.  I take a breath.  Of course.  This time, this place.  Again.

Karen Kitabwalla

                Meeting God in Wales, written by Tori Aitchison.

I kept saying to God, "Please give me a few weeks. I'll meet you in Wales. I promise."

And now God keeps showing up, almost everywhere. Today I practiced surrender when 6:30 matins & lauds with Benedictine monks seemed to never end. Turning my focus to bless the lovely woman next to me who helped me find the right pages was the gentle nudging And blessing I needed. Then I found grounding in the visit to Hereford Cathedral. The old and the present came together in a beautiful Eucharist. As we were leaving in bucketing rain (my new British phrase), school boys in formal school dress were running and laughing on their way to a carnival ride. Their joy was more boisterous than the ride mechanics and I caught God's smile. This afternoon when I
opened the doorway of the west front to Tintern Abbey, I felt a whoosh...I was alone and at the same time I was in the center of it all. 

Esther suggests that we find balance in the standing still while moving forward. In my pilgrim's heart, I caught myself today in that balance for just a few precious moments. I have my heart and my whole being open for a few more tomorrow, even if it rains again. 


1 comment:

  1. Tori and Tony thank you for your posts. Today I too learned balance in standing still while moving forward. I wish you all a continued spiritual journey. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete