Sunday, May 10, 2015

Emerging from Bardsey-- Meeting other Pilgrims on their way.

It is clear that the experience of making it across to Bardsey was the pinnacle of our experience as Pilgrim's. Two among us were not able to cross to Bardsey yet also God surprised them with the delight of new discoveries.

It is clear that as we draw closer to the end of our experience our group is still processing much of this spiritual adventure. Today we followed a bit of the path of the North Pilgrim's way. This route that is roughly 140 miles long was an ancient trek for pilgrims on their way to Bardsey Island. The many stops along the way are places of spiritual and physical refuge. We were pleased to meet and engage a group of pilgrims following this path (on foot) as they, like we, visited one of the historic stops on this pilgrim route, St.Asaph's Cathedral. These pilgrims were ending their second day of walking. To make it to Bardsey they have 10 or 11 days ahead of them. Then they like us will wait in hope that the waters will allow their crossing. We are praying for them now that their pilgrimage will be blessed by making it to Bardsey.

I was moved this day also at St. Asaph's cathedral by the simplest thing. While praying during an exquisite evensong we said together the confession. Offering to God our shortcomings in word and deed. I was struck then by the absolution which was presented in Welsh.  There was something unique for me to hear the words of forgiveness and reconciliation pronounced over my sacred confession in the ancient and native tongue of my ancestors.

Finally, on this day as we move toward the end of our experience we begin to think about home. Though tomorrow's prayer time will nudge our pilgrims toward pondering home, today a highlight was the absolute delight of watching Pilgrim Meg Seltzers response to her son Adam's surprise visit to his mother on Mother's Day. Adam is studying in Ireland this semester and managed to land here to visit his mother. It was a delight to watch, Meg's reflection is below.


Look who the wind blew in...
Sometimes blessings come when you least expect them. As I headed off to Holy Trinity church this morning I was mindful that it was mother's day. I thought about my children and how I missed them, about my mother and all those who have "mothered me" during my life. Upon returning from a walk around town later in the morning, my eye was caught by Tony waving me into the lounge. As we walked in I expected to get some info about the day, then I looked at the 3 people sitting there-Tony, Rick...and my son Adam. And the tears came. Adam had made his way from Limerick, Ireland (were he has been studying since January) to wish me Happy Mother's day. The surprise continued-that he will be with us to "finish out" the pilgrimage before heading back to Limerick tomorrow. Thanks to Tony for helping with logistics and to my fellow pilgrims for accepting a new pilgrim on the way. I am blessed and feel very loved.



No comments:

Post a Comment