Sunday, May 17, 2015

Celtic Discovery-Stirring Imagination-Pilgrim's Poetry


A pilgrimage is a journey. Esther deWaal reminds us that the longest journey is the journey inward. 18 pilgrims made the journey to Wales in early May on a journey of discovery. Our physical journey leading us inward to grow closer to God following the path of ancient Celtic roots. Our pilgrims continue to reflect and express their experience. Below please find three poems written and submitted by two of our pilgrims. Enjoy and may they be a blessing to you.
 
 
 
 
The winds of Wales beckoned  

     me to seek my Celtic roots.

What earthly treasure can I bring

     with me as I follow the pilgrims' path?

A lock of my mother's golden hair

     I shall carry close to my heart.

Together we cross the Irish Sea,

    Wind and waves challenge our spirit.

The Island of Bardsey calling us 

     onward to her rocky shore.

Walking up the hill I glimpse

     the lighthouse.

Through the pasture, sheep

    wary of my movement.

By the cove my journey ends.

Carefully I remove the golden strands 

    and gently caress them one last time.

Lifting my hand to the winds

    I watch as they continue the journey home

    with my love and blessings.

 

Joy Thiel

(submitted in loving memory of my mother)

 

 

 

Two Tanka (Japanese structure 5-7-5-7-7)

Waiting for daybreak

windows and heart are open

birds chirping wind blows

smile recalling our journey

time together reflecting

 

Surrounded by love 

Filled with  thanksgiving and joy 

happiness overcomes me

tears flow freely from the soul 

Gods blessings are evident

              Submitted by Meg Seltzer

No comments:

Post a Comment